What follows are accounts of the lives, taken principally from obituaries, of some of the men and women who have shaped St. Andrew's Episcopal Church over the years. By its nature, something like this cannot be comprehensive. Keep in mind that this is an ongoing project.
Death Summons Well Known Lady
Mrs. Anna Copeland Succumbs After Illness
of But Two Days With Paralysis
Chariton Herald-Patriot, 12 April 1928, Page 1
The citizens of Chariton and community have been greatly saddened by the passing away of one of our best loved women, Mrs. Anna Copeland. Last Friday afternoon about ten o’clock, she was suddenly stricken with a cerebral hemhorrhage, while apparently in the best of health, and in a hour’s time lapsed into unconsciousness. She never rallied, and on Easter Sunday, Aprl 8, 1928, at eleven o’clock a.m., as the church bells were ringing, summoning worshippers to the house of God, her soul departed to be with the risen Lord. Everything that loving hands and medical skill could do was done to restore her health, but the good God above saw fit to summon her to the home on high. Largely attended funeral services, conducted by her pastor, Rev. Geo. L. Brown, were held at St. Andrew’s Episcopal church on Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock, after which the remains were laid to rest in the Chariton Cemetery.
Anna Gibbon, daughter of Dr. William H. and Laura Gibbon, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, on December 5, 1864. Her mother at that time was spending some time in Cincinnati with relatives while Dr. Gibbon was serving in the civil war, although the family home was in Chariton, Iowa. At the close of the war the family come to the home here, which had been established in 1861 when Dr. Gibbon and wife were married. The doctor was one of the early pioneers of Chariton, coming here in 1858. The daughter attended the Chariton schools and then went to Providence, Rhode Island, where she spent two years at the Friends’ (Quaker) Boarding School, and received a liberal education.
She was married on September 4, 1884, to Mr. Ralph Ferre McCollough, who died on February 4, 1894. Three children were born to them, Clement Gibbon, who preceded his mother in death on September 11, 1912, and Mrs. Dorothy Vaughn, of Bloomfield, and Henry McCollough, of this city. On November 26, 1896, Thanksgiving Day, she was married to Mr. (Josiah) C. Copeland, who passed away on September 3, 1916. They were the parents of three children, Lawrence Copeland, of Corydon; and Mrs. Anna Laura Piper and Miss Kathryn Copeland, of this place. Besides these five children above mentioned she is also survived by eight grandchildren.
Mrs. Copeland ever took an active interest in public affairs, and for some time served as a member of the Chariton school board, also on the public library board, and during the world war and on various occasions has given much time to Red Cross work. For several years, until a year and a half ago, she filled the position of librarian at the Chariton high school. She had been an active and devoted member of St. Andrew’s Episcopal church from early girlhood, and was ever ready and willing to assist in all church activities, in which she was greatly interested. She was also a member of the P.E.O. Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, Eastern Star order, Daughters of Union Veterans, and Chariton Woman’s Club. She possessed a calm and pleasant disposition and to know her was to admire her for her many lovable characteristics. She was an ideal wife and mother, a splendid neighbor, a true friend, and no one in Chariton will be missed more than she. To the grief stricken children and grandchildren, the deep sympathy of the community will be extended.
The Chariton Patriot, 15 April 1920, Page 1
As noted in the paper last week Mrs. Carrie Custer Copeland, widow of H.D. Copeland, died suddenly on Tuesday evening, April 6 (1920), about 7 o’clock following an attack of apoplexy. She had been in her ususal health until a few hours before she passed away and her demise was a great shock to the family and entire community.
Carrie Custer was the only daughter of J.B. and Susanna Millen Custer, who were pioneers of Lucas county, coming here in 1849, and settling in Liberty township and later coming to Chariton.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Custer were of Revolutionary stock. Both were born in Virginia and were descendants of colonists, Mr. Custer of Governor Spotswood, the first governor of Virginia, and from the Virginia family of Lees, and Mrs. Custer came from the Fairfax family. No wonder the wine of adventure mingled in their blood and prompted them to seek a home and brave the hardships of a pioneer life in a new region.
It was here in Chariton that their daughter was born and reared to womanhood and here on January 25th, 1877, occurred her marriage to H. D. Copeland, who died in April 1910.
Mrs. Copeland was educated in the public schools of Chariton and the state normal school at Kirksville, Mo., where she specialized in music, her especial solace and delight, and her sweet singing voice will be remembered by early members of St. Andrew’s church, where she sang in the choir for years, and of which organization she was a devoted member from early life. She was also a member of the P.E.O. sisterhood; of the History Club and the Clio Club and had served as president of each; a member of the D.A.R. whom she served as regent; was supreme treasurers of the Homesteaders Fraternal Insurance company; and was a zealous worker for the Red Cross in making surgical dressings and the making of garments and in knitting. In all these activities she will be missed, but most and beyond all she will be missed by her immediate family, for her death closes to them a life of rare devotion and loyalty. Her care for her aged mother, whose span of years far exceeded the natural course of human life, was unselfish and untiring. No day was too cold or too hot to prevent her giving the aged one the outing she craved; and no engagement too pressing to deprive her mother of her presence. No task too hard if it kept her interested or happy.
To her brothers, William, Stanton, and James Custer, of Chariton, her loss is a very sad one, for she was all the invalid one says in his plaintive moan, “Such a good sister.”
Her son, Howard C. Copeland, of Chariton, and her daughter, Mrs. Chas. Whitcher of Des Moines, to whom she had been both father and mother since the father’s demise, have the sympathy of all in the community.
Those in attendance from out of town were: Bishop Henry Sherman Longley and Mrs. Longley, Mrs. Jas.L. Callahan, Mrs. Paul Beers, Mrs. Kate Gleason, Mrs. Louise Dalin, Mrs.Dora Custer, Miss Alice Brown Custer, Miss Anna Laura Copeland; Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Green, Mr. and Mrs. A.H. Corey, W.L. Snider, J.R. Howard, F.H. Dewey, all of Des Moines; Mrs. Grace Harlan Snider of Hazelton, N. Dakota; Miss Hattie Millen of Kirksville, Mo.; T.G. Gilson of Knoxville, Iowa.
The pall bearers were R. R. Van Dyke, Sr., Howard Culbertson, H. Darrah, L. H. Busselle, W. H. Dewey and T. G. Gilson.
The music was by the ladies quartette --- Miss McIntyre, Mrs. Cornforth, Mrs. Stricklin and Mrs.Hoskins, accompanied by Miss Merle Swift. They sang by her request the hymns “Come Ye Disconsolate” and “Peace, Perfect Peace.” Miss McIntyre sang as a solo, “Just As I Am Without One Plea.”
Bishop Longley conducted the beautiful and impressive burial service of the Episcopalian church at the G.W.Larimer home on Friday afternoon at 1:30 o’clock, after which the remains were placed in the Copeland mausoleum in the Chariton Cemetery.
Tribute to His Memory Written by His Friend, Hon. T.M. Stuart of Chariton
(The Chariton Patriot, 12 May 1910, Page 1)
Chariton has seldom lost as loyal and valuable a citizen as was H.D. Copeland, and the beautiful memorial tribute to him, written by Atty. T.M. Stuart, expresses only in part the loss the county and the state sustains in Mr. Copeland’s death, recorded last week. The large attendance of out-of-town visitors at the funeral, the lavish floral offerings, and the many words of comfort and sorrow that have come to the family, but warrant the high estimate that the people of this community placed upon Mr. Copeland.
One of the most touching letters received was from an employee of the Copeland Commission Co. of Chicago, who writes to this paper ---
Chicago, Ill., Union Stock Yards
May 10, 1910
Please permit me on my own behalf and my fellow co-workers to kindly express through the columns of your esteemed paper, the deep and sincere sorrow we all feel over the death of our fellow business associate and esteemed friend, the late Howard D. Copeland. Knowing him as we did, his death is a personal loss to us all. No man here at this great commercial business center ever stood higher in the estimation of his associates. He was the soul of honor, strictly honest in all his dealings, he endeared himself to all. His kindly and genial disposition made him hosts of friends. By his nobility of character and upright life, he has left a name to his family and friends that will be fondly cherished throughout all time. To have known such a character and been numbered among his friends is an honor we most highly regard.
(signed) A Friend
Those in attendance at the funeral from out of town, besides the pallbearers, were:
Arthur P. Copeland, Rochester, Ind.; George D. Copeland, Marion, Ohio; Mr. and Mrs. C.H. Boothroyd, Chicago, Ill.; Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Long, Osceola, Ia.; Simon Press, Sedalia, Mo.; Henry F. Mitlan, Kirksville, Mo.; Mr. and Mrs. A. G. Trump, Kahoka, Mo.; Geo. A. Young, A. H. Corey, F.H. Dewey, Fred Corey, H.P. Smith, H.B. Morgan, Des Moines; Mrs. Jennie Yetts, Dr. G.W. Whitehill, L. Cristy, A.E. Holcomb, Ottumwa; H.J. Green, Deocrah, Ia.; E. A. Patterson, Iowa City; F.M. Barner, Ames; T. G. Bilson, Knoxville; L.D. Jones, Coffeyville, Kan.; G. W. Humpsted, Victor, Ia.
The memorial tribute written by Hon T. M. Stuart is as follows:
Howard Darlington Copeland has passed away. He died at his home at 2:45 o’clock p.m. on the 3d day of May, 1910. The following is an epitome of his busy life:
He was born at Marion, Ohio, on the 19th day of August 1853, being the eldest child of Howard and Catherine Darlington Copeland. He was educated in the public school of that city, and at the Ohio Wesleyan University of Delaware, Ohio. He came of a family of bankers, two of his brothers and four of his uncles are bankers. At the age of fourteen years he entered the bank of his uncle, Guild Copeland, on Wall Street in the city of New York, and continued in that business, under the directions of another uncle, Arthur C. Copeland, at Rochester, Indiana. He came to Chariton in the fall of 1873 and was employed in the bank of his uncles, Percy and Elijah Copeland, where he remained for nine years, the bank in the meantime becoming the property of Manning and Penick. He was then appointed State Bank Examiner for the state of Iowa, and acted in that capacity for about eight years. At the close of his services as State Bank Examiner, he entered the law office of T.M. Stewart with the expectation that he would study law and fit himself for the legal profession which he always liked, but circumstances were such that he was required to engage in other business, and he drifted into the real estate business and has continued to pursue that business in part ever since, buying and selling real estate for himself and others. In 1893 he founded the commission house of H.D. Copeland & Co. at the Union Stock Yards in Chicago, becoming its president and he continued to act in that capacity up to the time of his death. In 1904 he organized the Burlington Savings Bank at Burlington, Iowa, became its president and continued to operate that bank for about two years, when his growing business enterprises at Chariton demanded his time and attention to such extent that he concluded to and did sell his interest in this bank at a fair profit. But true to the men who assisted him in organizing that bank he did not consent to part with his interest therein until he obtained the express consent of such parties thereto. In August, 1907, he purchased the controlling interest in the Chariton National Bank and became its president and he acted in that capacity up to the time of his death. In the same year he became owner of a hallf-interest in the Osceola Sentinel, which proved to be a profitable investment. He also became interested in the First National Bank of Rochester, Indiana, becoming its vice president. He was one of the promoters of the Fraternal Organization known as the Homesteaders and became its surpreme treasurer. He was also a member of the republican state central committee, and notwithstanding his numerous other duties, he found time to advise with that committee, always being stalwart in politics.
He was married Jan. 25th, 1877, to Carrie Custer, daughter of James and Susanna Custer, pioneers of Lucas county. He left surviving him his widow and two children, Mrs. Sue Copeland Whicher and Howard Custer Copeland. He was confirmed in St. Andrews church in 1901 and has since that time filled the position of senior warden of the vestry. He was active in all church duties, and very liberal in his support thereof, and in his death the church has sustained an irreparable loss.
His pall bearers consisted of one representative from each of the business enterprises that he founded, viz.: Mr. C. H. Boothroyd, of H. D. Copeland & Co. of Chicago, Mr. J.A. Penick of the Chariton National Bank, Mr. M. F. Roberts, representing his farming interests, Mr. J. L. Long of the Osceola Sentinel, Mr. R. T. Gilson of the Homesteaders, and his brother-in-law, W.S. Custer,
A large number of people of Chariton and friends from other cities attended his funeral, which was held at St. Andrew’s Episcopal church on Friday afternoon a two o’clock, conducted by Rev. Webster Hakes. His brothers, J.C. Copeland, A.P. Copeland and G.D. Copeland, were present. The Chancel and all of its departments was a mass of beautiful flowers. The casket was covered with rare flowers, the gifts of loving friends. The family pew in St. Andrew’s was left vacant, with the exception of a wreath of beautiful flowers hung on the end thereof.
“His life was gentle, and the elements so mixed in him that nature might stand up and say to the world, this was a man.”
Yes, his life was gentle; it was more like the placid lake, fringed with pines and flowers, basking in the moonlight than it was like the rushing river. While friends and acquaintances by the score sought his association, yet so quiet and unostentatious was his life, that few, comparatively realized the full extent of his mental capacity, or fully comprehended the big heart that led him to quietly shower blessings upon others. Think for one moment on the cares and the responsibility necessarily attending the founding, management and control of the numerous and extensive business enterprises epitomed in the foregoing brief statement. Think of the magnitude of the interests involved and then note the quiet, safe, and masterly manner in which he operated the same. H. D. Copeland was a natural financier, and yet he did not permit the pursuit of money to harden his heart, or close his eyes to the rights of others. He was always just.
His beautiful suburban home, Darlington Heights, through his efforts and hospitality, became the favorite resort of his friends, who were always assured of a hearty welcome, but above all, Mr. Copeland was a Christian gentleman. At the time of his death he was one of the chief supporters of St. Andrew’s Episcopal church, and was regarded as its chief advisor in all temporal matters, but he came to his position so quietly that perhaps very few remember when this church work began. The writer feels that he may speak frankly concerning that part of Mr. Copeland’s history, when he commenced the study of law. He came to my office with the hope that he would complete the study of law and become a member of the legal profession. Strange to say, his services in my law office were valuable from the very beginning. He possessed a legal mind, and he seemed to go intuitively to the legal points in a case. I shall never forget his valuable service in an important personal injury case in which he assisted me in looking up the facts and law of the case. The party was injured in a coal mine at Lucas, and while we became satisfied that he had a meritorious case, yet it became very difficult to find the evidence necessary to sustain the case. Mr. Copeland became very much interested in the case and without my knowledge he visited the coal mines in other parts of the state and came back with affidavits of expert coal men, making it so clear that we were in the right in regard to a certain question, that the case was promptly settled, and our client received ample compensation for the injury he had suffered. I have no doubt if Mr. Copeland had devoted himself to the law, he would have become one of the finest lawyers in the country. Perhaps not as an advocate, but as a judge of law.
Our dear friend has gone, his body moulders in the tomb, while his spirit has returned to the God who gave it, but his example is left for us, and may we not cherish the thought, that time, the destroyer of all, whose almighty arm blots from the face of earth empires and kingdoms, under whose power the eternal hills dissolve, will fail to destroy the influence for the right arising from the acts and deeds of H. D. Copeland.
His friend, T.M. Stuart
May 18, 1857-Oct. 31, 1907
Two key families of St. Andrew’s were key players in Chariton’s greatest financial disaster. One family consisted of Annie Ogden Mallory, widow of Smith Henderson Mallory, both founding members of the parish, and their daughter, Jessie (Mallory) Thayer; the other, of Frank R. Crocker, the Mallory family’s right-hand man for more than a quarter of a century and vice-president and cashier of the Mallory bank, First National, his wife, Mary Elizabeth (Arnold) Crocker, and their five children.
The bank, one of southern Iowa’s largest with assets in excess of $1 million, was forced to close its doors early Thursday, Oct. 31, 1907, when the body of Frank Crocker, who had killed himself with an overdose of morphine (with a side of cyanide in reserve), was discovered in his home, now Fielding Funeral Home, by a friend and business associate, C.R. Kirk. The Mallory women, who owned 90 percent of the bank’s stock and were its principal officers although in name only, were en route to Egypt when disaster struck. Informed of the situation in Naples, they returned home as quickly as was possible in those days.
With the bank in the hands of federal receivers, investigation revealed that Frank Crocker had used bank assets to speculate disastrously and incurred monumental losses. The bank’s closure created financial difficulties for most Lucas Countyans, rich and poor and in between, and resulted in a saga that continued for years as the bank’s receiver worked tirelessly to recover funds to be distributed to depositors for cents on the dollar.
St. Andrew’s lost both the Crockers, who moved to Minneapolis soon after Frank R. Crocker’s death; and Annie Mallory and Jessie Thayer, who moved to Orlando, Florida, after agreeing to turn all their assets in Lucas County, including their mansion, the Ilion, over to the government in return for government suspension of lawsuits against them in excess of $500,000. The Crockers and the Mallorys became the focus of divisive bitterness and anger across Lucas County and certainly within St. Andrew’s Parish.
The following combines edited reports from The Chariton Patriot, where the most objective reporting of the situation among Chariton’s three newspapers is found; The Chariton Herald, the most sympathetic to Frank R. Crocker; and a brief and bitter report from The Chariton Leader regarding transport of the Crocker remains from Chariton to Minneapolis.
News of Failure Follows That of the Suicide of Cashier Crocker.
Nothing is Known as to its Magnitude
The Chariton Patriot, Thursday, 7 November 1907
Lucas County’s most powerful financial institution, the First National Bank of Chariton, has gone to the wall. It closed its doors last Thursday, and is now in the hands of a receiver. The effect of the happening can be better imagined than described.
Following closely, as it did, the suicide of Frank R. Crocker, the cashier, the failure caused no surprise. The news of Crocker’s tragic death, early last Thursday morning, falling like a thunder bolt from a clear sky, excited the gravest suspicions in the minds of our people. Why had he taken his own life? What did it all mean? Then it was learned that the bank examiner had come to town the evening before. The fears of the people were further aroused; excitement mounted high. The doors of the bank apparently remained closed because of the cashier’s death, but later in the day the examiner posted a notice on the doors stating that the institution was in the hands of the comptroller of the currency. The bank had gone to the wall.
The crash stunned the people. Depression and gloom settled upon the community. All about on the streets stood men in groups subduedly discussing the calamity. Men with minds preoccupied and with faces downcast and serious passed each other without speaking. Others, optimistically inclined, attempted to put on a bold front and to cheer up their disconsolate friends.
The extent of the failure can only be imagined. No information has come from those who are busily at work in the investigation behind the locked doors of the bank. Bank examiner, H. M. Bostwick, who was on the ground and took charge, has been appointed receiver for the defunct bank. He is assisted in the work of investigation by Bank Examiner Shaw, and Assistant Cashiers Clarence Blake and W. B. Beem. Meanwhile an anxious public awaits, with bated breath, almost, the outcome of the investigation.
The capital stock of the bank was $50,000; surplus, $30,000. According to the last statement, issued August 22, the total resources of the bank amounted to $1,060,437.18. The deposits at that time were $915, 830.34. There were many individual deposits of large sums. Lucas county’s deposit amounted to over $50,000, secured by cashier’s bond. Mr. Crocker also had $300,000 of the funds of the Modern Woodmen of America, secured by personal bond. The bondsmen in each case are people of wealth and friends of the cashier in this county. The burden of making good these sums will fall upon them. In the case of the M.W.A. funds, the bondsmen declare that Mr. Crocker told them that he had released them from their liability and had obtained bond from a bonding company. One man, whose name is said to be upon the bond, declares he has no recollection of having signed the bond. Another states that he believed he was signing a bond for $50,000.
When the crash came the only ones in connection with the bank and conversant with the workings of the institution who were on the ground were the assistant cashiers, W. B. Beem and G. C. Blake. Mrs. Anna L. Mallory and her daughter, Jessie M. Thayer, president of the bank, both of whom are directors, and who own nearly every dollar’s worth of stock in it, were on the ocean en route to Cairo, Egypt, to spend the winter. They were reached by cable at Naples Monday morning and told of the terrible affair. The other directors are Alfred Goodwin, cashier of the Russell bank, and A. D. Gray, county recorder; and former bookkeeper in the First National. As to Messrs. Beem and Blake, the suicide of the cashier and failure of the bank was to them as great a shock as to all others. So far as they could have knowledge the affairs of the bank were in perfect condition. The bank balances had been growing of late; the usual amount of currency was on hand and so far as they knew, nothing indicated that anything was wrong. In one of the notes left behind by the dead cashier he stated that he alone was responsible for the condition of affairs.
The result of the investigation will come from the comptroller of the currency at Washington, D.C. Until he makes the report public we can only wait and hope. How long it will take to complete the investigation is not known. That the report will be made soon is the hope of all. The suspense pending the result of the investigation will keep business in a very unsettled condition.
The First National Bank of Chariton was organized in 1870, with S.H. Mallory as President and Edward A. Temple as cashier. The First National succeeded the banking house of F. W. Brooks & Co., afterwards owned by Lyman Cook & Co. and was under the management of Mr. Temple until 1884 when he was succeeded by F. R. Crocker, as cashier. It was always regarded as one of the conservative, well managed banks of the state, its deposits as early as 1884, reaching nearly a quarter of a million and increasing to nearly a million as shown by the late published bank statement. Its business largely represented the substantial progress of the city and county in population and wealth, and was closely identified with every effort to advance the interest of the community which it had in the past so efficiently served.
The news of the death of F. R. Crocker caused a run to be made on the Russell bank last Thursday morning and after some $6,000 had been withdrawn in twelve minutes, the bank closed its doors. Its president, Thomas Brandon, is Lucas county’s richest man, and he declares, that although he and his bank were heavy depositors in the First National, none of his depositors will lose one penny as a result of the failure. It is possible that the Russell bank will reopen. (Braden, he hero of this affair, severely depleted his personal resources to pay all obligations of the Russell bank himself.)
Took His Own Life Rather Than Face Investigation
The Chariton Patriot, Thursday, 7 November 1907
That Frank R. Crocker committed suicide rather than face the disclosures that would come out through an examination of his bank is believed to be the reason for his self-destruction.
The afternoon before his tragic taking-off he told C.R. Kirk, an intimate friend, in a conversation of the coming of the bank examiner; that he was in sore straits financially, and that he dreaded the coming of the bank examination of the bank at this time. He said that in times past he had aided those who were in need, but that now, in his hour of financial want, a return of such favors was denied him. He said he would rather take his own life than to have the bank closed, even temporarily. Mr. Kirk sought to cheer his friend, and upon taking leave of each other, Mr. Crocker remarked that he had pulled out of tight places before and perhaps he could do so this time; he would see what he, “could do tomorrow.” Mr. Kirk says that Crocker was visibly effected and worried, but that he entertained no thought that the situation was such as would lead his friend to kill himself.
It is thought now that the cashier was caught, heavily involved by reason of his speculations suffering through the recent depreciation in stocks; that he had sought to retrieve his losses through the use of other people’s money; had gotten into the financial sea beyond his depth, and because of the prevailing panic, saw no hope of rescue.
He was found dead in bed by Mr. Kirk, who had gone to the Crocker home about six o’clock in compliance with Mr. Crocker’s request, word of which was brought to Mr. Kirk by Miss Emma Powell, the bank’s stenographer. Miss Powell says that Crocker told her the evening before to “telephone Mr. Kirk as soon as she got up the next morning and tell him to come over to the house.” When she reached the office the next morning she found notes and packages addressed to several parties intimately connected with Crocker, in a business way, in his hand-writing. She was fearful that something was wrong, so instead of telephoning Mr. Kirk she hurried to his home and delivered her message. Mr. Kirk went at once and entered the house at a door on the southwest side of the house. He went upstairs to his friend’s room and found him dead. The body was still warm. Nearby was found a bottle containing a portion of morphine. Still asleep in the house, were the dead man’s daughters, Jessie and Mary, and his son, Paul. They were the only members of his household home. The wife and oldest son, Guilford, were in Chicago. His other son, Richard, was in Port Deposit, Maryland, a student at the Tome school. It is evident, from his sending for Mr. Kirk, that he didn’t want to be first found by his children. The door into the vestibule was found to be open and the lock set so if blown shut it would not latch. Beyond doubt the man had so fixed it that Mr. Kirk would find no difficulty in gaining entrance at the early hour.
The coroner, Dr. D. Q. Storie Jr., and Doctors T. P. Stanton, J. A. McKlveen and Guy Larimer were at once notified, as was the daughter, Miss Jessie, and some of the friends. Letters from him addressed to members of his family were found. In them he stated that he died by his own hand; that no one either directly or indirectly, was connected with his death. In one note were the worlds, “I could bear the burden no longer.” The fact that the man came to his death through suicide was so apparent that Coroner Storie felt no necessity to hold an inquest.
Mr. Crocker was at his desk the night before. He spoke to his Assistant Cashier Blake, who was working after hours, expressing his appreciation of Mr. Blake’s zeal in behalf of the bank and the hope that when the new clerk was “broke in” the work would not fall as much upon him. When Mr. Blake was leaving the bank Mr. Crocker bid him good night in his usual cheery manner. The cashier was seen sitting at his desk until quite late. He was probably writing those last letters.
He arrived home after 11 o’clock after paying a visit to his father-in-law S. S. Arnold. His daughter, Jessie, came home soon after and before her father retired. She had been to a party given in the rooms of the Chariton Commercial College by the students of which she was one. She saw on a table a note in her father’s hand writing, addressed to her brother, Guilford. She thought it peculiar that he would write a letter to her absent brother and leave it at home, and wondering, she went to her room and retired. The presence of the note was explained in the horrifying words conveyed to her the next morning.
In one of the notes was the request that his body be taken to Minneapolis for burial in the family burial ground. Copy for a telegram to be sent to Rev. W. V. Whitten, former rector of St. Andrew’s Episcopal church in Chariton who now lives in (Charles City), stated that he desired the rector to accompany the body to its last resting place.
As to what property he left for the maintenance of his family, the Patriot is not informed. It is known that he carried considerable life insurance, estimated at $60,000, and there is the beautiful family residence in Chariton.
Body Was Taken to Minneapolis for Interment
The Chariton Herald, Thursday, 7 November 1907
Among the numerous notes left by Frank H. Crocker to his family and friends last week was the request that he be buried at Minneapolis. To Chas. R. Kirk he wrote, “When you hear of the trouble, help the children at home; and Charlie, a last request I make of you. I want to be buried at Lakewood Cemetery, Minneapolis, in the family lot. Please see that I am. (signed) Frak” And in a dimmer hand, not like his usual dashing penmanship, he wrote, probably has he was dying, on a little slip of paper to Rev. Whitten, former pastor of the Episcopal church here, “Dear Mr. Whitten: I hope you can come and go to Minneapolis. (signed) F.R.C.”
According to his last wishes, brief funeral services were held at the Crocker home here on Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock, and that afternoon the family, accompanied by C.R. Kirk and Bert Beem, with J.A. Brown accompanying as far as Albia, left on No. 4 for the last sad rites in the city of the dead at Minneapolis where Mr. Crocker’s father and mother lie buried. There Rev. Whitten spoke the final words that consigned to earth the remains of Frank R. Crocker.
The services at the home here were very largely attended, and were brief but impressive. Lavish floral offerings draped the darkened bay window, where lay the body of the dead banker, perfect as life in his last sleep. Rev. Hakes and Rev. Whitten, who came from Charles City, spoke the short service, while music was contributed by a quartet composed of Misses Willie Brown and Josie Swift and Messrs. Caughlan and Hakes. Mrs. Sue Whicher sang a solo, “Face to Face.”
After the large company had filed through the rooms for a last look at their townsman, the procession moved to the depot. Messrs. Clarence Blake, Willard Beem, Ed Lockwood, C.R. Kirk, Will Eikenberry and L H. Busselle acting as pall bearers. Mrs. Stebbins, a sister of Mr. Crocker, had come from Minneapolis and Chas. Collins, a brother-in-law, had also come from there, and they accompanied the family on their sad mission.
Frank Richard Crocker’s life story may be briefly told. He was born in Galena, Ill., to Richard and Nellie Crocker, on May 18, 1857, where they lived until 1868, when they moved to Chicago. There young Frank attended Wentworth Academy, and later worked for John V. Farwell & Co. Later he came to Iowa, working as book keeper and salesman at Marshalltown and later at Des Moines, In 1875 he came to Chariton, and in 1878 entered the First National Bank as errand boy. He worked his way up through all the offices until he was virtually manager of all the affairs of the bank, his office being vice president and cashier, Mrs. Mallory retaining the office of the president formerly held by her husband, the late S.H. Mallory. He was married to Mary Elizabeth Arnold of this city, on May 24, 1888, and five children, all living, were born to them. Guilford, the oldest, is aged 21 years and is just regaining strength after two years of spinal injury that kept him in bed most of the time. Jessie is aged 19, Richard 18, Paul 12 and Mary 8 years. Besides the relatives here, three sisters, Mrs. Stebbins, Mrs. Collins and Mrs. Lamb, live in Minneapolis. Richard was attending school at Fort Deposit, Md., and Mrs. Crocker and Guilford were visiting in Chicago, when news reached them of the death of Mr. Crocker. Mrs. Crocker’s sister, Mrs. Shannon, and her son accompanied them home from Chicago.
Little need be added by by us concerning the character of Frank Crocker. He was known to everyone in the county, and in every other county and every state in the union, it might be said, his friends were numbered by the score. He was a rare man in many was. From an ordinary bank he built, by the force of his great personality alone, the First National Bank into one of the most powerful institutions in the state. A bank with a million dollars of deposits is no common thing in a town of 5,000 people, with no large business concerns to swell the deposits. Nearly all of the deposits of the First National were the savings of people of ordinary means. The trust that was reposed in him by the people of Lucas county was more than they realized, until after he was gone. He was the guiding hand to all things and his influence reached through every channel of business in Lucas county. Closely associated with his bank was the Russell bank, which has also closed its doors. He was partner with G.W.Larimer in the Chariton Land and Trust Company, with L.F. Maple in the insurance business, and with C.R. Kirk in the Percheron Importing Company. Besides these, he was a heavy stockholder in the Chariton Telephone Company, and was backing several other business enterprises in the city.
In all works of charity and helpfulness Mr. Crocker was a leader. He was one of the chief supporters of the work of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, and give liberally to all other churches, large or small. His business judgment was almost unerring, all who sought advice profited by the best he had to give. When all else about him is forgotten, his great kindness, his gentlemanly bearing to everyone, his cheerfulness at all times, and his lavish generosity to all needy cases, will be remembered. Ant it was those remembrances that brought together the large assemblage of citizens and visitors from other communities, some come from as far as Chicago, to pay their respects of the memory oftthe dead at the services at the house last Sunday afternoon.
The Chariton Leader, Thursday, November 7, 1907
After all what a leveler death is. When the metallic box holding the remains of the late F.R. Crocker, was taken to the train on Sunday evening it was placed in the dingy baggage car and in the hurry in loading the balance of the express, the wrestler piled a lot of packages upon it and thus the train started. This was not in accord with the accustomed dignity of Mr. Crocker when he traveled, but the expressman seemed to be no respecter of persons.
The Chariton Leader
Thursday, September 28, 1905
Mrs. Eliza Lambertson died at the home of her daughter, Melissa Lambertson, on Sunday morning, September 24, 1905, at 12:30 o'clock, after an illness of nine days with bowel trouble. Funeral services conducted by Rev. Webster Hakes, rector of St. Andrews Church, were held at the home on Tuesday morning at ten o'clock after which interment took place in the Chariton Cemetery.
Eliza Ann McNeill was born in Dibgy, Annapolis County, Nova Scotia, on December 28, 1817. She was married there on June 9, 1841, to David Lambertson, who died in September, 1878. They were the prents of eight children, seven of whom are living. One daughter, Elizabeth, died when quite young. Those who survive are John, J.W., C.A. Arkansas; Mrs. Frances Cushman of Parsons, Kas.; Mrs. Minnie Bailey, Melissa and Peter of this city.
Deceased with her family came to the United States in 1855, locating in Amboy, Ill., where she resided until 1867 when she came to Chariton which place has since been her home. She was a member of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church and from childhood had lived a devout, Christian life. She was a grand, good woman, and before the infirmities of age came upon her was ever lending a helping hand to those in need. The many excellencies of her character won for her innumberable friends who will learn of her death with deep regret and will extend heartfelt sympathy to those who mourn.