Morning Prayer at St. Andrew's Sunday morning was followed by a quick 40-mile drive down Highway 34 to Trinity Episcopal Church in Ottumwa for a Thanksgiving Eucharist followed by a pre-holiday dinner with all the usual trimmings and thensome. What a hospitable group our friends at Trinity are!
We've been talking this year about how we can work together more effectively here in the South Central Chapter of the Episcopal Diocese of Iowa and Trinity stepped up to the plate first, inviting all (St. Andrew's of Chariton, Grace of Albia and St. James of Oskaloosa) to this special service and meal. St. Andrew's, in case you're interested, provided the pumpkin pies.
The service, the music, the sermon and the food and fellowship that followed were wonderful and we're extremely grateful for the kindness of our neighbors.
A bonus of any event at Trinity is the wonderful church building, without a doubt the best church building in Ottumwa, right up there with Iowa's allstars and a spectacular example of high gothic revival. Completed in 1895 to a design by Davenport architect Edward S. Hammatt and virtually unaltered, it is a stunner inside and out.