Visiting the Sick

I think sometimes we forget how important it is to visit the sick.  I went to visit my cousin John in DesMoines today.  He is ninety nine and in a nursing home.  I am not sure how much time John has left.  I think not much.  He is a great guy and I was so grateful that I had the chance to see him today.  He was a good friend of my dad.  He and dad grew up together and dad was John's best man at his wedding so many years ago.  John tells me every time I visit, "I've out lived the whole tribe."  He is pretty proud of this accomplishment.

About a year ago John had repeated this phrase to me again and I said to him, "John, when you do die and go to heaven all of your relatives are going to welcome you and then ask you what took you so long!"

John is going into the Legacy Lodge Hospice tomorrow and I will be able to visit him more. It is a wonderful hospice in Chariton and we are so fortunate to have it.

So...if you have someone who could use some company, take some time out of your day to visit him or her.  It will be good for both of you.

Blessings,
Deacon Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment