More Inspiration


Last Wednesday at evening prayer we celebrated the life of Thomas a Kempis.  I knew very little about him although I am sure I have read about him many times during my study for the priesthood.  He lived and wrote during the 1400's and the major work to which he is credited is The Imitation of Christ.  It is one of those writings that has been on my reading list for quite a while, so the next day, Thursday, I decided it was time.  I checked on Amazon and for ninety nine cents they would deliver it to my Kindle in one minute.  It was the best purchase I have made for under a buck in a long time, maybe ever!

The writing is very medieval.  It has a lot of words like striveth and understandeth but you get used to the voice and it flows nicely.  As I was reading I would tell myself, "you have got to remember this passage or that phrase."  I was truly inspired by this man.

Here is an example.  "The more a man hath unity and simplicity in himself, the more things and the deeper things he understandeth."

Here is another.  "The more humble a man is in himself, and the more obedient towards God, the wiser will he be in all things, and the more shall his soul be at peace."

Isn't that what we all want? For our souls to be at peace?

Peace,
Fr. Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment