Women Bishops





The Church of England voted yesterday to allow women to become bishops.  It has always puzzled me that many churches sanction gender discrimination.  I suppose part of the reason comes from Paul's writing in 1st Corinthians when he said, "women should remain silent in the churches.  They are not allowed to speak but must be in submission as the law says."  It is hard for me to think of a context, even a 1st century context,  where this was thought to be a good idea.

Anyway, I am pleased that the Church of England has taken another step toward gender equality in its clergy.  Many countries within the Anglican Communion took that step many years ago and as far as I know lightning did not strike anyone involved in those decisions.

Women have always been so important to the church.  It makes sense that the spiritual call should come to both males and females. 

Peace,
Fr. Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment