Dog Days of Summer

It has been a very good summer as far as the weather goes.   We have only needed our air conditioning for brief periods but I am afraid we are entering into the dog days of summer.  I looked it up.  Apparently the dog days got its name from the Romans.  They observed that the dog star Sirius was close to the sun at dawn during this time of year so they blamed Sirius for the heat.  It makes all kind of sense to me.

Tomorrow is also my birthday.  I turn 65 and I have formally been welcomed into the Medicare club by several well wishers. Sigh....

We have a new refrigerator at the church.  Actually it is our old refrigerator which Sherry and I are donating.  I am sure it has many years of use left in it.  So I guess Sherry and I are the ones with the new refrigerator.

I was at St. Andrew's yesterday at the time the Dipsy Dabblers (artist group) were meeting.  I had a wonderful visit with one of those present and she and I talked about all kinds of things.  The subject of prayer came up and we both agreed there are many types of prayer.  Most people think of petitioning prayer when they define it and she asked me if walking through a field and listening to nature would be considered prayer.  I said absolutely!  I told her I believe people need to spend less time telling God how things ought to be and more time just listening. 

Keep on praying.

Blessings,
Fr. Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment