Shrove Tuesday


We had our annual Shrove Tuesday pancake supper exactly a week ago.  We estimated that there were about one hundred guests and the free will donation raised $348 for our local food bank.  The girl scouts did the serving and everyone in the church pitched in to make it a success. 

I think doing events like this are healthy for us as a church, good for the people who want to contribute to a good cause and a great way to funnel money into the food bank.  I work at the food bank on Fridays and believe me, the food bank does a lot of good in Lucas county.

I wrote a grant last week for some repairs that are needed at the Ministry Center building which houses the food bank.  I plan on using the money we raised last week as a partial match for the grant.

Maybe I should write a little bit about Shrove Tuesday.  I is always the day before Ash Wednesday which is the first day of Lent.  Shrove Tuesday is also called Fat Tuesday.   Mardi Gras translated is Fat Tuesday.  It is the day when people cleaned out their cupboards and ate well before the austere time of Lent. 

Peace,
Fr. Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment