Trinity Sunday


This is Trinity Sunday and we are trinitarians. We say as much every time we recite the Nicene Creed and the Apostles Creed. We believe in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We believe they are three persons in one God. Let me illustrate this idea. (eat part of an apple) Here on this apple you can see the skin which wraps itself all the way around the apple. There is the flesh, which is the part that we are all talking about when we say we are going to eat an apple. And last, there is the core which provides a home for the seed.

If I was a zen master this sermon would have consisted of me eating this apple and doing nothing more. I would then leave you to your own thoughts and you would contemplate the meaning of what I had just done. And that would be it.

You are not so lucky. I am going to say more. The three parts of the apple each serves a purpose and yet they are still one apple. It may not be a great analogy but its all that I've got. We believe there are three persons in one God and each is separate and one at the same time. It is a mystery and I do not believe it is to be fully understood.

Please listen to this story of someone who was firm in her beliefs.
 
 
There was a lady who had to do a lot of traveling for her
business, and she did a lot of flying. Flying made her very nervous,
so she always took her Bible along with her to read as it helped relax her on the long flights.

One time, she was sitting next to a man. When he saw her
pull out her Bible, he gave a little chuckle and smirk and went back to
what he was doing.

After awhile, he turned to her and asked, "You don't
really believe all that stuff in there do you?"

The lady replied, "Of course I do. It is the Bible."

He said, "Well, what about that guy who was swallowed
by that whale?"

She replied, "Oh, Jonah. Yes, I believe that, it is in
the Bible."

He asked, "Well, how do you suppose he survived all that
time inside the whale?"

The lady said, "Well, I don't really know. I guess when
I get to heaven, I will ask him."

"What if he isn't in heaven?" the man asked sarcastically.


"Well." she replied, "then you can ask him."


There are non-trinitarian denominations. A couple of them are the Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses and frankly I understand why they are skeptical because it is a hard concept to wrap your head around. The three persons in one God is not addressed specifically in the bible but we hear Jesus talking about his Father in heaven throughout the bible. Jesus also talks about the holy spirit, the advocate, who will visit the apostles after he is gone.

We had our last bible study on Tuesday. We will begin again in September. During bible study we always have a series of questions to answer. Here is question number seven. How do you experience God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I remember after that question was read there was a long uncomfortable silence. I think my response was that I have learned from the Son the way I should live my life. Jesus guides me on the path that his early followers called The Way. I pray to the Father when giving thanks and when I ask his blessing. When I sit quietly in meditation I feel the presence of the Holy Spirit.

And still, It is all a mystery to me and I do not pretend to understand how all of this God theology works. I am comforted in my belief that God teaches and guides me, and gives me blessings every day. When I am in quiet meditation God washes my soul with the Holy Spirit.


Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment