Meditation

Image result for meditation

We have started a meditation class at St. Andrew's.  It meets Thursdays at 5:30 and I am pleased to report that our turnout has been consistent and the feedback I have been getting has been very positive.  We all need balance in our lives and meditation makes a difference. 

I was a student of yoga many years ago when I was a young man.  I lived in ashrams and spent some time in India traveling with monks.  Those early years were a life changing experience and as time progressed my meditation became less frequent from four times a day to once daily.  However, over those many years it has also become deeper and more intense.

Meditation has a long history in the Christian world as well.  A good read is Practical Mysticism by Evelyn Underhill.  She wrote in the early 1900's and I believe she provides real incite into the mystical experience.

Really though, you can read all the books on meditation but it isn't until you sit down and begin to practice what some refer to it as deep prayer that you will begin to understand what meditation is.  You are welcome to attend our Thursday class.  It is free and open to all ages.

Blessings,
Fr. Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment