Winter in Iowa: Reflections



Yes,  winter has returned to Southern Iowa although the scene in this picture does not reflect the kind of winter we have experienced this year.  It has been unseasonably warm, cloudy and wet with rain, not snow.  However, today I woke up to a clear sky and temperature in the teens.  I like the seasons but I have to admit that winters, even relatively warm winters, can be long, too long.

Winter is a good time for reflection and I have been doing a lot of that.  Our Church's annual meeting is tomorrow and I will give my clergy report to the congregation.  We have done some positive things this year.  Our congregation size has stayed about the same.  We continue to stay active with 1st Lutheran Church and I have been busy with the Inter-church council as well.  I gave the sermon for the annual July 4th service on the town square and I didn't see people drifting off so I measured it as a success.  Our Tuesday bible study continues to be well attended with as many Lutherans attending as Episcopalians. Wednesday evening prayer continues with four of us in attendance.  I like our little group because it has an intimacy a larger group cannot give.  We have also started a meditation group on Thursdays.  There are six of us and I really enjoy the spiritual energy created by our group.

I officiated at my nieces wedding this year and it was an honor for me to have that chance.  They make a very nice couple and I wish them the best.

There is one distressing event that has happened this year.  One of our most dedicated and active members fell and broke a hip a few days ago.  She seems to be recuperating nicely after the operation and I ask you to keep Dru in your prayers.

Blessings,
Fr. Fred


No comments:

Post a Comment