Pastor's Corner: Ashes to Ashes

  • Image result for ashes to Ashes





Each week a local minister is asked to take a turn at writing an article for the local newspaper called Pastor's Corner.  This week it was my turn and since I chose to write it on February 14th, ( Ash Wednesday) that was what I wrote about.  Here is the article as it appeared in our local paper.  Enjoy!


Ashes to Ashes


I am writing this Pastor's Corner on Ash Wednesday. This is the beginning of the Lenten Season which is a time for us in the Church for reflection, prayer and penance. I would like to think we do that all the time but I guess you could say that during this time in the church year we put these aspects of our spiritual practice in sharper focus.

We will have a service later on this evening where we will read scripture and during the service, the people in the congregation will come forward and I will put ashes on each person's forehead in the sign of a cross. At the same time I will say the phrase, “Remember that you came from dust and to dust you shall return.” There is a lot of power in that simple statement. It reminds us of our mortality and in some ways encourages us to make the most of the life we have been given.

The gospel reading during this service is always the same. It is a reading from Matthew in which Jesus tells his followers to beware of practicing their piety before others in order to be seen by them. He tells us to practice humility in whatever we do. The reading ends with this. “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal; but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

This reading reminds me of an event we held at St. Andrew's last night. It was our annual Shrove Tuesday pancake supper. It is our effort to raise money for the ministry center food pantry and we always have strong community support. We have a group of volunteers from our parish who slave away in the kitchen making pancakes, washing dishes and putting together plates of pancakes and ham. I locate myself in the dining area chatting with patrons and giving some direction to the girl scouts who enthusiastically volunteer to wait on the customers. I ask the people we serve how the food is and about the service they receive. I get compliments right and left and I always thank them.

My point is that the people doing all the work never even see those whom they are serving and yet they do it with joy and satisfaction in knowing that they are serving the people in their community. At the same time money is being generated to provide food for those who use the food pantry.

During the pancake supper I often feel like I am getting credit for the tasty pancakes and yet I never flipped one of them. Those people who work behind the scenes are doing the work Christ encourages us to do. This example of doing Christ's work by selflessly serving others is not an isolated event. It is practiced throughout Lucas County and I celebrate the fact that I am blessed to live in a place where so many of you care so much for each other. Christ lives in each of you.

Blessings,
Father Fred Steinbach
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church

No comments:

Post a Comment