Doubting Thomas and Others

  • Image result for jesus appears to disciples







The Reading

\

The Gospel
John 20:19-31


When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you." When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."

But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe."

A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe." Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe."

Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.

The Sermon


Just Imagine

Here you are in a locked room with your fellow disciples wondering what to do next. Should you attempt to escape from the city with your life. Should you remain in hiding till this whole thing calms down or...should you do what your teacher told you to do, go out and spread the good news. The practical side of your brain says what good would it do to preach if I am just going to be killed right away for doing it. But, the other part of you says that if you truly had faith the only thing to do is carry on where Jesus left off.

THEN! Jesus appears. It is a closed off room with the doors locked and there he is! When he said “receive the holy spirit” something changed inside of you. You felt moved. There is no doubt now about what you will do.

There is still one hold out. Thomas. He wasn't there to experience what you saw and felt. You begin thinking, if he did not believe you and the other disciples, then what are the chances that others would believe. Thomas needed proof.

Well, Thomas got proof the next week. After Jesus showed Thomas his wounds, Jesus said something that has stayed with you and the rest of your group. He said, “Blessed are those who have not seen and have come to believe.”

Sisters and brothers, that is us. We are a community of believers. We were not there and yet we believe. Somehow, the Spirit has visited us and led our hearts toward a faith that guides us in our lives.

This reading from John is very trinitarian. Jesus the Son of God appears before the disciples. He tells them “as the Father has sent me, so I send you. And then he breaths on them and says, “receive the Holy Spirit.” We had a nice discussion about the Trinity at bible study last Tuesday. It was a pretty free wheeling conversation. I think the consensus of the group was that we really do not understand how three persons inhabit one God. If any of you fully understand it please explain it to me … after the service.

Having said that, I am glad we have the Trinity to fret over. I confess that most of the time I do not differentiate among the three. I just think in terms of God and when I pray and meditate I pray to God. Just God. I will let the three of them sort out who wants to hear me. Maybe all three.

I don't believe that makes me any less of a believer. My faith in God is still strong. Faith is good. Belief in the good news of Jesus Christ is important. True faith must lead to action. We should be moved by the holy spirit to reach out in our community and the world and live the Christian message of hope.  

Peace be with you,
Fr. Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment