The Good Shepherd: Last Sunday's Sermon

  • Image result for the good shepherd



The Gospel
John 10:11-18



Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.”


The Sermon


Good Shepherd Sunday

Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd.” It is a metaphor he would probably not have used in today's culture but it brought a powerful message in the first century. A good shepherd looks after the sheep because they have a bond. Sheep are simple animals and they depend of the shepherd to keep them safe. The good shepherd does more than is basically required. He nurtures them. He defends them from harm. He protects them with his life if necessary.

There are very few of us today who relate to the shepherding culture. That does not mean there are no good shepherds out there. They are all over. As you all know, I was a school teacher for many years. In a sense I was hired to help in shepherding children through life. I saw other teachers who did not take their job so seriously. They saw it as a job. Just a job.

Most of us were not like that. We did much more than just try to fill student's heads with information. We spent time with them during family tragedys. We made sure their physical needs were met. Above all we nurtured them when they were feeling lost. That is what good shepherds do.

When I think about all of you in this congregation I see many good shepherds. You care about your families, your community, each other. Would you lay down your life for others. I think many of you would.

So, who are the good shepherds in our world? Parents, aunts, uncles, sisters, brothers, firefighters, policemen, teachers, farmers,........

Jesus said, I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me. He continues, “I lay down my life for my sheep. I have other sheep who do not belong to this flock. I must bring them also and they will listen to my voice.” There are lots of sheep wandering around in this world. I know I was one of them for many years. A Pew research survey estimated that 37% of Americans attend church on a weekly basis. That leaves a lot of sheep wandering around without a shepherd. Jesus was aware of this two thousand years ago. There are many out there who Jesus wants to bring into his flock, people who are ready to listen. People who want to fill that emptiness in their lives that cannot be filled with fame, or money, or toys. We are the hands and feet of Christ. We can give voice to his message by being good shepherds.

Jesus was and is the good shepherd. He guides us with his teaching. He gives us a spiritual safe haven, from the storms we face in our lives. Through his sacrifice on the cross he took away the sting of sin and death. Jesus is not done and he is counting on us to continue his mission of bringing his flock together. 

Peace,
Fr. Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment