The Gift of His Body and Blood




THE READINGS

Old Testament

1 Kings 2:10-12; 3:3-14


David slept with his ancestors, and was buried in the city of David. The time that David reigned over Israel was forty years; he reigned seven years in Hebron, and thirty-three years in Jerusalem. So Solomon sat on the throne of his father David; and his kingdom was firmly established.

Solomon loved the Lord, walking in the statutes of his father David; only, he sacrificed and offered incense at the high places. The king went to Gibeon to sacrifice there, for that was the principal high place; Solomon used to offer a thousand burnt offerings on that altar. At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, “Ask what I should give you.” And Solomon said, “You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant my father David, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart toward you; and you have kept for him this great and steadfast love, and have given him a son to sit on his throne today. And now, O Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David, although I am only a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in. And your servant is in the midst of the people whom you have chosen, a great people, so numerous they cannot be numbered or counted. Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, able to discern between good and evil; for who can govern this your great people?”

It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this. God said to him, “Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches, or for the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, I now do according to your word. Indeed I give you a wise and discerning mind; no one like you has been before you and no one like you shall arise after you. I give you also what you have not asked, both riches and honor all your life; no other king shall compare with you. If you will walk in my ways, keeping my statutes and my commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your life.”


The Epistle

Ephesians 5:15-20


Be careful then how you live, not as unwise people but as wise, making the most of the time, because the days are evil. So do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. Do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery; but be filled with the Spirit, as you sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, singing and making melody to the Lord in your hearts, giving thanks to God the Father at all times and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Gospel

John 6:51-58


Jesus said, “I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”

The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” So Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever.”


The Sermon

In the first two readings making wise decisions is the theme. Solomon, the son of king David and Bathsheba has become king and in a dream God asks him what he wants. Solomon has the wisdom to ask for wisdom and God grants it to him. He could have asked for material wealth or a long life but he wanted to be a good king like his father.

In Paul's letter to the Ephesians he gives a similar message. Paul says, “Be careful how you live, not as unwise people but as wise, making the most of the time.” Paul then goes on to list many of the things that foolish people do such as getting drunk and debauchery. While I was reading this I got stuck on the word debauchery. It is one of those words where you kind of know what it means. If I see someone engaged in debauchery I know it but I can't exactly define it. So, I Googled it. The definition offered was “the pursuit of sensual pleasures.” I have to agree and disagree with that definition. We are sensual beings. We should be allowed to take pleasure in our senses. It is OK to feel good. I take pleasure in the taste of peach pie with ice cream. I look forward to tasting the meal we are about to share. I enjoy a glass of Pinot Noir during dinner. A hot shower after a hard day's work feels good and has a way of regenerating me. I think what Paul is saying is don't drink the whole bottle of wine in one sitting. The same goes for the pie and ice cream. He is telling us to make wise choices.

Jesus is telling us to make good and wise choices. He has been telling us this for the last several weeks of gospel lessons. He tells us to pursue the eternal bread of life. Jesus is speaking in metaphors when he says to eat his flesh and drink his blood. He wants us to become spiritually a part of him. He says I am in you and you are in me.

Jesus said “the life that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” Jesus knew his destiny was to sacrifice himself, to give up his life for the world. In his own way he was telling his followers that the giving of his flesh and blood was for us. So, when I say during the Eucharist, he broke the bread and gave it to his disciples and said, “Take eat, this is my body which is given for you, Do this for the remembrance of me.” Jesus is telling us that the bread represents his body and the wine represents his blood and this sacrifice of his flesh and blood should always be remembered in this way. At the same time, Jesus has a real presence in the wine and bread.

Jesus wants us to not simply remembered. He wants us to consume everything about him. He wants us to live a life that is love centered; a love of God and a love of each other. Our existence should no longer be centered on 'what's in it for me' but what can I do for my brothers and sisters out of my selfless love for them.

The pharisees and others wanted to take Jesus literally when he said these things about consuming his flesh and drinking his blood but we know he was speaking of spiritual things. It is our task to be spiritually consuming the teaching of Jesus, and remembering his gift of himself for our salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment