Christ the King Sunday






Image result for christ the king







The Gospel


John 18:33-37




Pilate entered the headquarters again, summoned Jesus, and asked him, “Are you the King of the Jews?” Jesus answered, “Do you ask this on your own, or did others tell you about me?” Pilate replied, “I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests have handed you over to me. What have you done?” Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my followers would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not from here.” Pilate asked him, “So you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.”

The Sermon


This is Christ the King Sunday. It is the last Sunday in the church calendar and it is the most recent feast day to have been added. I 1925 the Roman Catholic church suspected that our world was becoming too secular and less God centered so as a response to this trend they created Christ the King Sunday. Imagine that! In 1925 there was a fear people were getting too secular. I wonder what they would think if they could time travel to 2018.

We must always keep what is important in our lives in perspective. Is family important. Is our money important. Is Jesus important. We all want joy and peace and love in our lives. The question is what will bring us that joy, peace, and love?

Christ the King Sunday was created to give us time for reflection on where Christ fits in our busy world. In 1925 many religious leaders were afraid people were forgetting where there lives should be centered. I know that in my life when I start getting mired in all of the day to day troubles I fall into a negative trajectory that spirals into a world of unhappiness and despair. When my world is Christ centered I have fewer worries because I know that God is with me, walking along side of me and giving me the sense that it will all be alright.

So is Christ a king. I don't know if I see him that way. My knowledge of kings is that they have a very mortal, very flawed side to their nature. Christ to me is well beyond any king that I am aware of. Christ is God incarnate. He is my shepherd who leads me, his sheep, along the path of righteousness. Christ encourages me to love and gives me a sense that I am loved. Christ, as our king, has given us the good news. It is a message of love and hope that will rule our lives.

He is the Alpha, the beginning, and the Omega, the end. And yet he was there before the beginning and he will have no end.

Next Sunday begins a new year for the church. May your life be filled with new and wonderful beginnings as well!

Blessings,
Father Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment