Hunger and Obesity

I worked at the food bank today.  It gives me a reality check.  I think sometimes I get a little too cozy with the comforts of the middle class.  Some of the people who walked through the door looked hungry and when I said, "would you like a turkey or ham" they brightened up.  We had lots of day old bakery items that would have been thrown away and that was all gone by the end of the morning.  After working at the food bank I went to a Rotary meeting.  The guest speaker talked about the obesity problem in Iowa and our county in particular.  Iowa is the twelfth most obese state in the United States and two thirds of the people in the United States are considered overweight or obese.

It was a bit of a roller coaster for me to go from giving food to hungry people at the food bank and then listening to a speaker talk about most of us being overweight.  Something is very wrong.

Good Night,
Deacon Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment