Why Go to Church?


Me In India. It looks like I am praying but I am actually peeling a mango.


I often hear people tell me they see no reason to go to church.  I agree....and disagree at the same time.  When I was  younger, much younger, I was a student of yoga and the big deal for us budding yogis was to make a trek to India and sit at the feet of the master.  I have never regretted my own trip to India but at the same time I don't think my spiritual evolution was quickened by the four months I lived there.  What the experience did do was it forced me to be more disciplined in my study and meditation.  I was with a group of people who would spend three and four hours a day in meditation.  If I had spent that same amount of time stateside the results would have been similar. 

So...why go to church.  When I attend services, I am encouraged  to focus on God's message to me.  I get to join others in worship and meditation. I become a part of a community of believers.  I realize that I am part of something much bigger than myself.  Most of all I find myself reflecting on my relationship to God.

When I walk out of church on Sunday and in my case Wednesday, I feel as if my physical and spiritual selves are more balanced.  I am a better person for it. 

Peace,
Fr. Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment