Commitment and Marriage and everything else.


Sherry and I just returned from a wedding in Chicago.  Weddings are powerful affairs because couples make the leap into a lifelong commitment.  When Sherry and I were married, I remember feeling almost overwhelmed by the ceremony. It hit me while I was standing on the altar that I was doing something that would change my life.  And, it did.

 I am writing this because I was watching television last night (I watch too much of it) and the actor who  plays the Secretary of State was telling her employee that he was not showing the commitment she expected from him. She compared him to another less experienced employer who may not have  the talent but who was dedicating one hundred percent. He was all in.  Of course TV being TV, the less committed employee corrected himself in about ten minutes by writing the best speech ever and was in the Secretary of States favor once again.


One of my favorite sayings is the one regarding a breakfast of bacon and eggs.  The chicken makes a contribution but the pig is committed.  I have done a lot of introspection about my own sense of commitment.  I am not sure I want to be the pig in this analogy but I know I can do better.  I know I can do better!  Today I commit to doing better. Talk is cheap.  Let's see how I do.

Peace,
Fr. Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment