Curing and Healing




I was reading something the other day about the difference between curing and healing.  I was actually researching for this week's sermon when I came across it and it really made me think.  Jesus cured a lot of people of whatever was wrong with them and in this Sundays gospel reading he heals Peter's mother in-law. 

She was probably about my age and if she was anything like me she had a number of things wrong with her.  Jesus cured her of a sickness and she felt well enough to get up and serve them.  She was probably a long way from perfect but she got beyond her other issues and went about her business of service.

Now, about curing and healing.  I have MS and it is very unlikely that I will be cured of it.  On the other hand, I have gone a long way toward being healed from it.  I still have a weak leg.  I still get leg spasms at night but I have found ways to live my life so that it is as rich and in some ways richer than it was before.  I thank God for the spiritual and emotional healing that has taken place.

I spoke to a close friend this morning who lost part of his foot months ago in an accident.  No, his toes and part of his foot did not re-grow but he did heal.  His life remains spiritual and rich.  His faith in God was not shaken by the accident and he continues to serve. 

Peace,
Fr. Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment