Thoughts on the murders in Charleston

Yesterday's sermon was different.  I jotted down a few talking points about the readings and said a few things about faith.  I then talked about how the faith of many Christians may have been shaken by the murder of nine people in the AME church in Charleston.  

I asked the congregation to share there thoughts about what had happened.  We had a very productive discussion.  We have thoughtful people at St. Andrew's.  One of the points brought out was that we tend to generalize about people when these kinds of terrible events occur. 

Forgiveness is hard and I deeply admire the members of that church who gave an example of how to respond in a Christian way.  My hope and prayer is that our country will find a way to keep weapons out of the hands of people who commit acts of violence.

Peace,
Fr. Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment