Pastor's Corner: God Winks

  • Image result for god winks



This is my week to write the Pastor's Corner for our local newspaper and I decided to post it here as well.  I hope you enjoy the read.

Hand of God?

I wish theology was simple. I suppose if it was, there would not be between thirty and forty thousand different denominations of Christianity not to mention the different sects of Judaism, Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism. Many of these belief systems are pretty sure they are the ones who have gotten it right.

Do not expect me to clear all of this up in this Pastor's Corner. However, there is something about my beliefs that I would like to share. I do believe God is actively involved in my life. I believe God guided me back to Chariton after a forty year absence. Too many things just kind of fell into place when Sherry and I were considering moving here but it isn't just the big events like a move. Little things happen too that seem like more than coincidences.

A parishioner loaned me a book a few days ago titled, When God Winks at You by SQuire Rushnell.  It is a collection of accounts of people who have had things happen to them that some might call coincidences but others might chalk up to more than that. The author calls them God winks. This book begins with a story about a woman named Mavis who had planned for years to go to the Crystal Cathedral in California. One Sunday she decided to finally attend one of their services. She arrived and was ushered to a seat next to a young woman. The two of them began to talk and share their stories. The younger woman said she was from the Midwest and she was in the state because she was trying to find her birth mother. Mavis told her that when she was young she had had to give her daughter up for adoption. She said it had always been a painful memory. The young woman asked her when the baby had been born and after more sharing they realized that they were mother and daughter. Was it a coincidence or was God winking at them?

Most of us do not have these kinds of amazing experiences but we have all had times when God winked at us in different ways. People may have shown up when help was needed or someone told you something that you needed to hear.

Bad things will still happen to good people and we do not know why. However, that does not mean that God is not walking with us during difficult times. We all must walk through the valley of the shadow of death. Just remember you are not alone.

God Bless You,
Fr. Fred Steinbach
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church

No comments:

Post a Comment