John the Baptizer: Last Sunday's Sermon

  • Image result for john the baptist

The Reading


The Gospel

Mark 1:1-8

The beginning of the good news of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
As it is written in the prophet Isaiah,
“See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way;
the voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
‘Prepare the way of the Lord,
make his paths straight,’”
John the baptizer appeared in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. And people from the whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem were going out to him, and were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins. Now John was clothed with camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. He proclaimed, “The one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to stoop down and untie the thong of his sandals. I have baptized you with water; but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”


The Sermon


John the Baptist

John and Jesus were probably second cousins and I can tell there was a family similarity beyond just bloodlines. They were both totally committed to their faith and they both showed little regard for their safety when it came to expressing and practicing that commitment. I wish I had that kind of courage.

Both John and Jesus were the radicals of their time and I think they would be pleased with us if we showed some of that as well. John was not afraid to tell those who would listen that they were sinners and it was time to repent and ask God's forgiveness. Jesus' message was the same. He used stories and metaphors to give us his message of repentance and preparedness. He talked about shepherds and lost sheep. He told stories about bridesmaids keeping their lamps filled. Jesus message went beyond John's message. John cautioned us to repent and Jesus said to be prepared because we do not know when our day of re-conning will come. Jesus also told us of the importance of love. Jesus was the embodiment of that love in his sacrifice for us.

John told his followers, “I have baptized you with water but he will baptize you with the holy spirit.”

While I was writing this I realized that this is a good time to renew our baptismal vows. Please join me.


The Baptismal Covenant



Celebrant:  Do you believe in God the Father?


People:  I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.


Celebrant:  Do you believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?


People:  I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended to the dead. On the third day he rose again. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again to judge the living and the dead.


Celebrant:  Do you believe in God the Holy Spirit?


People:  I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.


Celebrant:  Will you continue in the apostles' teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in the prayers?


People:  I will, with God’s help.


Celebrant:  Will you persevere in resisting evil, and, whenever you fall into sin, repent and return to the Lord?


People:  I will, with God’s help.


Celebrant:  Will you proclaim by word and example the Good News of God in Christ?


People:  I will, with God’s help.


Celebrant:  Will you seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving your neighbor as yourself?


People:  I will, with God's help.


Celebrant:  Will you strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being?


People:  I will, with God's help.

(Book of Common Prayer, pp. 304-305
Grant O Lord, that all who are baptized into the death of Jesus Christ your Son may live in the power of his resurrection and look for him to come again in glory; who lives and reigns now and for ever. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment