More About John the Baptist: Last Sunday's Sermon

  • Image result for john the baptist












The Gospel

John 1:6-8,19-28

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. He himself was not the light, but he came to testify to the light.
This is the testimony given by John when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?” He confessed and did not deny it, but confessed, “I am not the Messiah.” And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the prophet?” He answered, “No.” Then they said to him, “Who are you? Let us have an answer for those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?” He said, “I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord,’” as the prophet Isaiah said. Now they had been sent from the Pharisees. They asked him, “Why then are you baptizing if you are neither the Messiah, nor Elijah, nor the prophet?” John answered them, “I baptize with water. Among you stands one whom you do not know, the one who is coming after me; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandal.” This took place in Bethany across the Jordan where John was baptizing.


The Sermon


When I was growing up John the Baptist was not a big deal to me. Going to church was something I did because I had to. My parents made me. And, I went to church because I was pretty sure that if I didn't I would go to hell or maybe purgatory for a very long time.

Today, as I have grown spiritually, I realize how important John is to the Christian story. John began waking people up from their spiritual slumber. He was kind of like the opening act in a concert. He was preparing people for the main event. John could have taken another direction. He had the zeal and charisma. He had the following. He could have launched his own career as the messiah. But, he didn't.

God had chosen John to prepare the Jews for the coming of the messiah and John knew that. When he was asked if he was the messiah, or maybe Elijah or another prophet, he said no. He told them he was a voice crying out in the wilderness. He was laying the groundwork for the messiah.

The phrase, 'voice crying out in the wilderness' rings true today. There is plenty of room in the desert for us to cry out as well. I spoke last week that I believed that both Jesus and John were probably considered radicals for their times. Both men spoke boldly about the abuses that were happening in the world of the first century.

There is plenty going on in our own world that we can and should speak to. The Spirit spoke to John and the Spirit speaks to us. Do we need to physically place ourselves in a desert, wear a hair shirt and eat locusts? Of course not, but we do need to be bold. It is our calling to live our lives knowing that we are the hands and feet of Christ.

Let me ask you. What do you see happening in our world that troubles you and you have the power to address?

No comments:

Post a Comment