Paying Tribute

I just finished writing a sermon on epiphany.  I think I covered all the bases on the three kings from the east giving gold, frankincense, and myrrh. I wrote about these wise men and their possible origins and how they didn't trust Herod.  I am sure Herod's reputation for untrustworthiness was common knowledge in the ancient middle east. Anyway, I talked about all that stuff.

I waited till the end of the sermon to make my point.  These wise men, these kings, these gentiles gave this new infant king material gifts that were worthy of royalty.  So, what can we give?  I am sure the greatest gift, the greatest tribute we can give is to follow his example and his teaching.  We can feed the hungry, care for the sick, and find ways to show our love for our fellow humans. I am sure that these spiritual gifts are more precious to Jesus that any material gold, frankincense, and myrrh could ever be. Jesus wants that kind of spiritual tribute more than he has ever wanted cathedrals, gold chalices or silk robes. 

Blessings,
Deacon Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment