Prayer Book

I am taking a class on the Book of Common Prayer.  It is such a wonderful rich resource.  Wendy Abrahamson it teaching the class and she is also my mentor.  We spent this first class going over the history of it and of course you cannot do that without discussing Thomas Cranmer.  He was the major author of the prayer book and those of us in the Anglican Communion are so fortunate he was there during the 1500's.  It's too bad he was burned at the stake by queen Mary.

There is one prayer written by Cranmer in the prayer book that I love.  It is in the evening prayer and compline sections.  Here it is: 

Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep.  Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake.  Amen

The prayer speaks so much to the human condition.  People become sick.  They grow weary and they all eventually die.  I feel like this prayer asks God to wrap his arms around humanity and guide us on life's journey. I don't know how God works in a universe that likely has billions of planets with life forms that may not be similar to ours.  I really don't think my brain is big enough to begin to understand how incredibly complex God must be.  I still like the simple thought that God is with me and that God is watching over me.

Good Night,
Deacon Fred


No comments:

Post a Comment