Whether Weather

I taught special education for thirty two years in my last life.  It was very rewarding and during that time I had a lot of interesting experiences and met many fascinating people.  One of those people was an autistic boy.  He and I had a good relationship and I think that quite honestly I learned more from him than he learned from me.

Why am I mentioning this, you ask?  Well..  It's cold right now in Iowa and the wind just makes it so much colder.  Last night we had near blizzard conditions and all activities were called off. It reminded me of this autistic boy who would recite a saying when the weather got bad.  He would say,  "Whatever the weather, we'll weather the weather, whether we like it or not." 

I was just over at the nursing home visiting my cousin John and I was reading him first person accounts from people who grew up in the 1930's, especially the 1936 drought.  It is called, The Dirty Thirties.  These short stories speak to the resilience of the human spirit.  I love these stories.  John loves them too but for a slightly different reason.  He lived through them.

After reading them it gives me a whole different perspective on my own, "difficult times,"... whether I like it or not!

Peace,
Deacon Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment